Get smoke detectors installed in your home for free!
Do you need to have smoke detectors and/or batteries installed in your home? There is a program available to help.
Facts & Figures:
- Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths result from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
- Roughly one of every five smoke alarm failures was due to dead batteries.
- In the U.S., a civilian dies from fire every 156 minutes.
How to make sure your smoke detector works properly:
- Test your smoke detector once a month.
- Press the test button on your detector and check that the device beeps or rings loudly.
- Use a broom handle or pool cue to test hard to reach smoke detectors.
- Avoid lighting candles under the detector to see if the alarm goes off. Repeated use of smoke to activate detectors can cause them to fail when a real fire occurs.
Source: National Fire Protection Association (http://www.nfpa.org)
How to get free smoke detectors and batteries installed in your home:
The Vanguards of Cleveland (local chapter of the International Association of Black Professional Firefighters) are offering to install smoke detectors and/or batteries free of charge on a first come, first served basis. The program is available to all owner occupants and renters. Seniors and disabled persons are especially encouraged to apply!
To have smoke detectors/batteries installed in your home, call the Ward 11 Safety Coordinator Greg Pollard at 216-383-9772. He will assist you with completing the application and forward it to the Vanguards of Cleveland.