How to Prevent Falls
As the winter season approaches and the snow and ice start to fall, it is time to place extra focus on reducing your risk of falling. The rehabilitation team from Mount St. Joseph Rehab Center would like to share these fall prevention tips.
1) Keep moving – exercise and physical fitness help to improve balance and prevent falls
2) Wear sensible shoes with good traction, indoors and out
3) Clear pathways – keep boxes, newspapers, electrical cords, tables and rugs out of high traffic areas. Keep your driveways and sidewalks clear of snow and ice.
4) Light up your living space – use adequate lighting in and around your home, day and night, to allow you to see obstacles and changes in surfaces.
5) Use an assistive device to help with balance if you are at risk for falling.
6) Speak to your doctor about physical therapy if you fall often or present with decreased balance.
Be careful and stay safe!
Heidi Shenk has been a physical therapist for more than 23 years. She has just recently moved to the Cleveland area from Stockholm, Sweden and is now working as the Director of Marketing for Mount St. Joseph Rehab Center.